Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Global Bowling, not Warming!


As a homeschool mom, I always loved to have globes all over the house. One of the ways that I accomplished this was picking them up for a dollar or less as time went by, and we developed a very interesting set of globes! From those with textured terrain to those that showed political boundaries and even those that simply showed the names of countries, we had the most complete globe set in the neighborhood, for under $5!


I was pretty fired up about my thriftiness and the educational possibilities with this collection. A BIG bonus was that each child could have his own globe—no more fighting over who got to spin the globe or hold the globe! The learning possibilities were endless, and we did have fun with the globes while playing “Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?”


One afternoon in the middle of a thunderstorm, I kept hearing wild laughter and a periodic low rumble coming from the hall. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the kids had invented a new game: Global Bowling!

They had figured out how to carefully remove the globes from the stands and had set up some plastic bowling pins from an old bowling set. They were having a ball, bowling with the world! And yes, I let them play on. “Get a spare with Australia, kids!” Gotta love creativity!

Blessings,
Amanda B.

1 comment:

  1. That is so funny! I can't imagine where I'd keep 7 globes, if I had one for each child! LOL

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Please comment below. Thanks!