Thursday, September 22, 2011

Scotland, Geography, and the Learn to Burn Gene



Many times in my life as a wife and mom, I have had a tendency to forget that I was cooking. I would easily become totally wrapped up in some project with the kids or writing a new book and forget that I was cooking. I own the website www.SmokeDetectorCooking.com—seriously! For all of these years, I thought that I was simply domestically challenged. However, while learning about the nations of the U.K. with our children, I made a HUGE discovery!

When we began learning about Scotland, land of our ancestors, the children wanted to learn more about our family’s clan. In the process of doing this, we investigated the clan castle and some of our wilder ancestors. The kids LOVED this part and still tell the tales of these great, wild forefathers. All of this was wonderful, and they loved the history, beauty, science, people, and stories of Scotland. But there was ONE more bonus lesson in the mix for me, the homeschooling mom who can’t cook.

Just imagine my surprise when I learned that our clan’s ancestral castle suffered a major fire back in the 13th century after it was newly built. As we were reading this and imagining the horror of the fire, the kids could NOT figure out why I started laughing and couldn’t quit. I finally shared my research “find.” The fire started in the main kitchen area!  J 

Blessings,

Amanda B.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Amanda! I can relate! Several years ago we had a kitchen fire, and it was not fun. My son would love your website name "SmokeDetectorCooking". He still reminds me from time to time that I almost burned down the house LOL. We can laugh about it now, but it was not funny when it happened.

    I would love to know how you went about researching your Scottish heritage. I wonder if there is a way to get general information about what clan your surname came from?

    Blessings,
    Missy

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Please comment below. Thanks!