Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Sports for the Unaware



I don’t know about you, but I grew up in a football household. My dad was a college quarterback, and we all learned to throw the football with him from the time we were old enough to throw a spiral. We shared his love of football and made it a point to know the game so that we could all share in the football experience, from local high school games to Sunday afternoon NFL games. That was OUR sport.

Imagine my surprise when our kids all wanted to play baseball or softball, in the case of our daughter. What? Baseball wasn’t a REAL sport! Seriously? Okay, fine, we’ll just see how long they stick with it. Boy, were we wrong. Now, many years later, we are STILL going to baseball games and probably will be for some time to come.

All the while, I’ve been trying to learn the rules and strategy of this game. I have learned about left-handed pitching, switch hitting, bat regulations, pitching limits, hand signals, bunting, and much more. I look at my husband from time to time as we sit on the bleachers and have to smile. We were so unaware when we were planning our children’s futures at birth. We are still learning!

-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you. Please comment below. Thanks!