Monday, July 4, 2011

Hot Summer Days and a Ship-wrecked Family


When I was a child, one of my favorite movies was the original Swiss Family Robinson, produced by Disney. I loved the tree house and the story, the victory over the pirates using some very creative defense systems, and the lovely way that they were rescued “just in time.”

- Amanda

When we started homeschooling, I began looking for some interesting family read-aloud titles for our crew. We were living in Florida, and the summer days were oh-so-HOT! One of my most memorable picks has to be the novel, Swiss Family Robinson, by Johann David Wyss. The book was so much better than the movie! As we moved through this fascinating book, one chapter a day, we were all enthralled.

From the massive snake to the cave to so many other thrilling adventures, we became hooked on this great book, as well as the fun of reading good books as a family. Try it some hot day this summer, and let me know how you like the book. We still talk about some of the events from that book, and we all smile at the memories that we made--it’s all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you. Please comment below. Thanks!