Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Reading and Timing and Kids



One of the questions that I am frequently asked is “My child is struggling to read. What do you recommend?” My first response is, “Been there, done that, don’t worry, step back and breathe.” I will never forget the advice that Dr. Raymond Moore gave me years ago when I asked him the same question. He kindly explained that some kids, particularly boys, were just not ready to read at the ripe old age of 5, 6, or even 7!

I was so relieved to hear this! While my child had memorized all of the phonics charts and knew all of the individual sounds, he struggled to make sense of reading. So I went on reading to him. I read all kinds of books to him on many different topics as we homeschooled with unit studies—imagine! Eventually he did learn to read after a slow process where I would read a paragraph, then he would read a paragraph, slowly building up to reading alternate pages instead of paragraphs.

The lesson for me was to change my expectations and timetable for this young child. He WAS wired differently from our oldest, and the way he learned was new to me. I learned the importance of patience, love, and encouragement in homeschooling, a priceless lesson that has helped me through years of homeschooling and loads of adventure.

- Amanda

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! It's a great reminder to me because this is exactly where I am today with my 7 year old son. His older brother was reading at 5, so it was a big adjustment for me when my son was unable to connect the phonics with actual words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you've been awarded the versatile blogger award
    http://chestnutgroveacademy.blogspot.com/2011/06/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in a similar situation with my almost 7 year old daughter. She is starting to get it....but it is a challenge! However, she has a great attitude and tells me that one of these days, she will be the best reader in the world! I simply agree with her. (My oldest taught herself to read....I never had to do phonics with her....so, the struggles of my nearly 7 year old came as quite a surprise and challenge....at first frustrating...but now...all part of the joy!)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Please comment below. Thanks!