Saturday, August 18, 2007

Fun Projects for Fall

Hello! I hope that your learning adventures are off to a good start! 
It has been a long and very hot summer here, and I am looking forward
to cooler weather and planning a few fun projects that tie in with
our areas of study.

One of the most popular projects that I have undertaken has been my
creation of bandana quilts for our children. Now I have other friends
and family members waiting in line for their quilts! It is fun,
inexpensive and EASY for those of us who are not exactly sewing-
oriented. :-)

You use 12 - 16 bandanas, depending on the size of the bed that you
are planning on covering. These days, you can find a wide variety of
bandanas in stores like Hobby Lobby and Walmart. From camouflage to
jelly beans, and even great new colors for the standard paisley
bandana - the choices are many. I've seen cowgirls, cowboys, horses,
flags, airplanes, trains, fish, wildlife, space planets, and many
more. Try to choose bandanas that have nice square corners and are
uniform in size.

I sew the bandanas together in rows of three or four across,
depending on the size of the bed. I use rows of three for a double
bed. Then I sew the rows togther - remember, I am not a terrific
seamstress, so these simple straight lines work well for me! Now,
I've got the main top part of the quilt complete - very easy.

For the backing and border, I find a solid color or simple pattern
(no lines) that complements the bandanas. For example, if you are
using American flag bandanas, there is a Federal blue cotton fabric
with small gold stars at Walmart - perfect match! It is 44-45" wide,
so I have to plan on sewing two pieces together to get the width that
I need for a double bed quilt. This also provides a wide enough piece
that I can wrap the blue over the side and use it for the top border -
very easy. I also learned that the quilting safety pins that are
bent (Walmart) are WONDERFUL to use when laying out the quilt and
backing and batting to hold it all in place before assembling the
quilt.

I use cotton yarn thread to tie down the quilt at various points
across the quilt, to keep the quilt and batting from bunching up when
washing.

OK - is this making any sense? I hope so - it is fun to plan and
create, and not too tedious for this craft-challenged mom!

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any questions. Oh, and
if you want a very soft quilt - back it with flannel. I did this for
my daughter and she loves it. If you are looking for wide material in
both cotton and flannel, check out fabric.com - their prices can be
great, and then you don't have to sew any pieces together for the
back of the quilt!

Blessings,
Amanda B.
www.unitstudy.com

2 comments:

  1. dustbunniesandbooksAugust 18, 2007 at 6:04 AM

    For those of us with even less sewing ability (I mean I'm lucky if I can sew a button on! :blush:).....I'd love to see some pictures!


    --Celia (who met you at the Cincy convention and was at the infamous "how to eat grits" demo dinner with you, Steve and Jane!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY 10 year old is just learning to sew and sewed to placemats together the other day. I guess she had something there. :) This would be right up her alley!! I'm off to Walmart!

    Blessings,

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Please comment below. Thanks!