Saturday, April 22, 2006

What is your goal - why do you homeschool?

“If you’re not sure where you are going, 
you’re liable to end up someplace else.”
Robert F. Mager


Goals, goals, goals. We hear over and over again how important goals are to our success in life. While it is an important concept to most of us as it applies to our lives, it should also be very important to us as we educate our children. We need to set some educational goals as we proceed with their education. Like any goal, we need to remember that they will have to be somewhat flexible and allow for adjustment as the child changes and grows to adulthood.


 


Also, like other goals, educational goals can be short-term and long-term. For example, short-term goals might include learning to read during the upcoming school year. Long-term goals might include gaining an understanding of the child’s gifts and talents in the years to come. Education is made up of many components, and these components fit together like puzzle pieces. A child needs a spiritual education as well as an academic education.


 


 When we began our homeschooling journey, I read so much at once, trying to absorb and understand as much as I could possibly get in as short an amount of time as possible. I’m sure that many of you know exactly what I mean. I was not a “degreed” teacher, but I knew that homeschooling was something that I was supposed to do for our children, and for our family. I kept reading about the importance of setting educational goals, and so I began to put together a set of goals for each child – fitting the goals to help with each child’s weak spots or growing interests. Over the years, these notes in a spiral notebook have helped keep us on track, and have been adjusted along the way when necessary.


 


Keep thinking and I’ll share more on this next Tuesday – don’t forget to join me on the Porch!


 


Until next time,
Amanda B.
www.unitstudy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you. Please comment below. Thanks!